replication

From: "David Parker" <dparker(at)tazznetworks(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: replication
Date: 2004-06-08 15:31:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi. I'm new to postgresql in general, and have been tasked with coming
up with a replication solution for our postgresql based application.
Assuming we don't bite off trying to roll our own solution, it looks
like the open-source options for replication are:

1) contrib/rserv
2) erserver
3) slony
4) pgreplication

From looking at the code, it looks like contrib/rserv might have evolved
into erserver. I'm curious what the motivation for starting the new
slony replication project was - is it intended to address short-comings
in erserver? There has been some traffic on the list today about the
pgreplication project, too, but I haven't had a chance to look at it
yet. Is anybody using it?

Of course there's nothing that says there can't be multiple replication
solutions for postgresql, but as somebody just coming into the
community, I have NO idea what the relationship between them is, or if
anybody is even doing replication.

I realize that this is a very general question, and I don't expect an
essay comparing the various solutions, but hearing the
thoughts/impressions of anybody who has used any of these packages would
be a huge help to me.

Thanks!

- DAP
David Parker Tazz Networks (401) 709-5130