Re: Script binaries renaming

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Zdeněk Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Script binaries renaming
Date: 2008-03-26 12:30:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 13:21 +0100, Zdeněk Kotala wrote:
> Magnus Hagander napsal(a):
> > On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 21:59 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> Are we really prepared to break everyone's scripts for this?
> >
> > I wonder how many people actually use those commands :-) I know I always
> > use psql with a commandline parameter, and the majority of other peoples
> > scripts that I've come across also do that. So I'm not sure exactly how
> > important it is.
> >
> > Another option then might be to simply deprecate their use, and
> > eventually get rid of them, instead of renaming them?
>
> In one of my mail I also mentioned to replace all of these commands by one (e.g.
> pg_cmd) which will integrate all of them. Removing is not good solution for
> people who writes scripts, because process psql output is complicated and there
> is not easy way how to run vacuum on all databases for example.

You can add lots of nice parameters to psql to make it quite easy to
process the output. Running vacuum on all databases isn't particularly
hard - but it does require a small bit of shell-fu.

But I'll grant you that one for vacuumdb. I was specifically thinking
about the create/drop user/db/lang scripts, which are the ones likely to
"conflict" with other parts of the system. Didn't think of vacuumdb.

//Magnus