Re: meson oddities

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: meson oddities
Date: 2022-11-15 21:08:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2022-11-15 Tu 14:04, Andres Freund wrote:
>> I don't think it's a virtue to break the layout of the platform by
>> e.g. installing 64bit libs into the directory containing 32bit libs.

> You might end up surprising people who have installed from source for
> years and will have the layout suddenly changed, especially on RedHat
> flavored systems.

Yeah, I'm not too pleased with this idea either. The people who want
to install according to some platform-specific plan have already figured
out how to do that. People who are accustomed to the way PG has done
it in the past are not likely to think this is an improvement.

Also, unless you intend to drop the special cases involving whether
the install path string contains "postgres" or "pgsql", it's already
not platform-standard.