Re: Cleaning up historical portability baggage

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cleaning up historical portability baggage
Date: 2022-07-10 03:00:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I wonder how much dead code for ancient operating systems we could now
> drop.

+1, it seems like this is the cycle for some housecleaning.

> * prairiedog, macOS 10.4 (vintage system most likely to cause problems)

FWIW, I am expecting to retire prairiedog once the meson stuff drops.
macOS 10.4 is incapable of running ninja (for lack of <spawn.h>).
While I could keep it working for awhile with the autoconf build system,
I'm not sure I see the point. The hardware is still chugging along,
but I think it'd be more useful to run up-to-date NetBSD or the like
on it.

Having said that, I'll be happy to try out this patch series on
that platform and see if it burps.