Re: BUG #5451: pg_restore doesn't close input .tar archive

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Golub <pavel(at)microolap(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5451: pg_restore doesn't close input .tar archive
Date: 2010-05-07 14:12:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Pavel Golub <pavel(at)microolap(dot)com> writes:
> TL> I'm not sure what distinction you're trying to draw. Do you want us to
> TL> add a close() just before exit()? If so, what for?

> First of all, for uniformity I guess. :) .backup files are closed
> properly.

> And secondly, I'm using these sources in my project and I
> need input file to be closed. Of course, I can find the place
> where to insert close() by myself, but I beleive that this must be done in the
> official release.

I don't think so. The pg_restore code is not written to be a library.
(Some have proposed making it into one, but there's a lot of work needed
to make that happen.) Even if it were designed as a library, I don't
think it would be the library's job to close the input file --- what
if the surrounding app passes it stdin, for instance?