Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review
Date: 2007-10-10 03:25:49
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Ühel kenal päeval, T, 2007-10-09 kell 22:36, kirjutas Stefan
Kaltenbrunner:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> >> No it's not.
> >>
> >> Can somebody please explain to me what beta means if you can commit new
> >> stuff after it has been declared?
> >
> > We allow /contrib to be more lax about beta changes.
>
> the postgresql ecosystem is growing and there is a lot of people like
> packagers that will be a quite irritated if we keep randomly adding
> completely new code and modules during BETA.

Should packagers be concerned with /contrib at all ?

As noted before /contrib is a technical way of ensuring that something
gets updated together with core, not a recommendation to include it in a
"package".

Arguably, a good packager should make its own decisions about what to
include in his/her/its packages, which may include stuff from pgfoundry
and also may omit stuff from /contrib .

Hannu