Re: Using Postgres as an alias

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)CommandPrompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using Postgres as an alias
Date: 2007-09-26 12:23:41
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 06:11 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> In an attempt to get "Postgres" more widely used, I propose changing
> "PostgreSQL" to "Postgres" in the documentation when there is more
> than one mention of "PostgreSQL" in the same paragraph. The same
> could be done with the FAQ.
>
> Objections?

I still cannot understand why we spend our energy on such a thing.

I strongly object. I don't want to see Postgres in any of our
documentation.

As the lead RPM packager, I will *never* ever rename PostgreSQL to
Postgres in any of my packages, documentation, etc. unless we change our
official name someday (which I hope it won't happen any time)

From my point of view, I cannot spend time to rename the packages from
postgresql to postgres (I cannot think about the upgrade problems...)

Regards,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ