isolationtester seems uselessly rigid as to length of permutation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: isolationtester seems uselessly rigid as to length of permutation
Date: 2012-01-28 21:08:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I thought it'd be a good idea to put in some basic test cases for the
EvalPlanQual code using the isolationtester infrastructure. While
fooling with it, I soon ran into this restriction:

if (p->nsteps != nallsteps)
{
fprintf(stderr, "invalid number of steps in permutation %d\n", i + 1);
exit_nicely();
}

ie, a "permutation" list has to specify exactly as many steps as there
are in the spec file. This seems to me to be a useless restriction,
because it prevents running a test sequence that repeats some steps or
leaves other steps out. Barring objections, I'm going to remove the
above lines.