Re: status of PlPython

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
To: "michele(dot)simionato(at)gmail(dot)com" <michele(dot)simionato(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: status of PlPython
Date: 2007-05-29 08:15:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ühel kenal päeval, E, 2007-05-28 kell 20:57, kirjutas
michele(dot)simionato(at)gmail(dot)com:
> I wonder if I should use PlPython in my projects or not.
> Browsing on the Python list it seems that nobody is using
> it.

At least we are usingi it at Skype.

> Browsing on Google Groups I find worrysome threads talking
> about removing support from it in future versions of PostgreSQL.
> So, I would like to know what's the current status of PlPython.
> Assuming it is in good health, I would like to know how people
> are using it,

Three main uses are

1) as a glue for external libraries, like GeoIP
2) for remote calls to other databases (now we have replaced that use
with pl/proxy)
3) anything that is easier to do in python than in pl/pgsql or pure sql,
like string/list processing, encoding/decoding, etc.
4) caching something in GD

> how do you keep your code in subversion, how do
> you debug it,

we debug it by debugging outside postgresql backend if possible, and by
inserting NOTICE'es (plpy.notice('noticetext')) if running inside
backend.

> what are the pitfalls, etc.

various external python modules may be less robust than standard SQL
stuff. if something crashes inside plpython, it can crash/restart the
whole backend

> What sources of
> information are out there, apart from the postgres manual?

python manual and library reference ;)