Re: Prepared queries and ANALYZE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Prepared queries and ANALYZE
Date: 2003-04-28 04:57:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Looking through the query preparing and stats analyze code, I noticed that
> prepared queries using an analyzed table are not replanned. I imagine that
> some users of prepared queries would not want the above behaviour, plan
> stability etc, but surely others would.
> I didn't notice any discusion of this in the list archives. Any technical
> reasons why this shouldn't happen?

Well, there are implementation reasons why it doesn't happen: there's no
infrastructure for determining which tables a prepared query depends on
nor for re-planning it if we did notice they'd changed.

But really this is a special case of the problem of "schema changed
underneath a plan", and yes it'd be nice to notice that and invalidate
the plan.