Re: Broken defenses against dropping a partitioning column

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Manuel Rigger <rigger(dot)manuel(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Broken defenses against dropping a partitioning column
Date: 2019-07-22 19:02:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Here's a proposed patch for that. It's mostly pretty straightforward,
> except I had to add some recursion defenses in findDependentObjects that
> weren't there before. But those seem like a good idea anyway to prevent
> infinite recursion in case of bogus entries in pg_depend.
> Per above, I'm envisioning applying this to HEAD and v12 with a catversion
> bump, and to v11 and v10 with no catversion bump.

Pushed. Back-patching turned up one thing I hadn't expected: pre-v12
pg_dump bleated about circular dependencies. It turned out that Peter
had already installed a hack in pg_dump to suppress that complaint in
connection with generated columns, so I improved the comment and
back-patched that too.

I nearly missed the need for that because of all the noise that
check-world emits in pre-v12 branches. We'd discussed back-patching
eb9812f27 at the time, and I think now it's tested enough that doing
so is low risk (or at least, lower risk than the risk of not seeing
a failure). So I think I'll go do that now.