Run programs within the bin folder

From: "pd" <petedawn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Run programs within the bin folder
Date: 2006-10-03 05:56:57
Lists: pgsql-general

guys,

is there a way to run various programs like (pg_config, pg_restore,
dropdb etc) from within pgadmin or from within my java code. i mean can
i perform database administration from within postgres that is without
using literal commands. so from within my java code i can execute a
query like select all etc. but can i also execute a query which will
perform database administration.

i mean when my java code says "select all" it doesnt have psql in front
of it. so why when i have to backup or do anything else i need to use
pg_dump and not a general query (which really makes things very
complicate programmatically).

thanks.