Re: running benchmark test on a 50GB database

From: Chris Mair <chrisnospam(at)1006(dot)org>
To: Nuno Alves <nuno(dot)alexandre(dot)alves(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: running benchmark test on a 50GB database
Date: 2006-09-20 15:47:41
Lists: pgsql-performance

> I am running bechmark test in a 50 GB postgresql database.
> I have the postgresql.conf with all parameters by default.
> In this configuration the database is very, very slow.
>
> Could you please tell which is the best configuration?
>
> My system:
> Pentium D 3.0Ghz
> RAM: 1GB
> HD: 150GB SATA

We don't know what your database looks like, what the
queries are you're running, what "very, very
slow" means for you and what version of PostgreSQL
on what OS this is :/

The two links are a good starting point to tuning your DB:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/performance-tips.html
http://www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList/

Bye, Chris.