Re: Forcing current WAL file to be archived

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Forcing current WAL file to be archived
Date: 2006-07-25 15:24:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ühel kenal päeval, T, 2006-07-25 kell 10:51, kirjutas Bruce Momjian:
> Where are we on these TODO items:
>

> o Add reporting of the current WAL file, perhaps as part of
> partial log file archiving

It would be nice to have a function that tells both filename and offset
of current WAL file, so it would be possible to do live async streaming
of up-to-subsecond changes without too much overhead.

This could be used to solve all the above problems with some extra work
on side of WAL-shipping framework.

Marko Kreen thought he might also do some work on such a function, but
he is on a vacation, so I'm not sure he will be able to get it done by
feature freeze.

It would be extra nice if postgres would nudge some external process on
each WAL write via a signal or UDP packet (after write and before flush)
so there would be virtually no delay between WAL write and notification,
but just the function would also go a long way.

--
Hannu Krosing

Skype me: callto:hkrosing
Get Skype for free: http://www.skype.com