Re: [GENERAL] Is my MySQL Gaining ?

From: "John Sidney-Woollett" <johnsw(at)wardbrook(dot)com>
To: "Tony" <tony(at)unihost(dot)net>
Cc: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)myrealbox(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date: 2003-12-29 10:54:06
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

I agree with most of this sentiment. Even knowing SQL and RDBMs reasonably
well, there is still a significant effort involved in moving from another
RDBMS (in my case Oracle) to postgres.

The postgres docs provide much all the detail (in a very concise form).
The hard part is putting all the different pieces together to solve some
problem. In fact, this is where the postgres users list is so good,
because the support and feedback from it is excellent.

Contrast this page from the docs (for the update statement),
http://www.postgres.org/docs/current/interactive/sql-update.html with
Oracle's (for 8.1.7)
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a85397/state27a.htm#2067717

Some might feel that much of the information is redundant or bloat. I
disagree - you get a feel for what is possible as well as links to other
commands, subtopics, and concept explanations.

Someone commented that maintaining docs (of this sort) would be too hard -
I disagree. Many of the commands are *mostly* implementation agnostic, and
the initial docs would require siginificant effort to build, but should
only require moderate maintenance as features are added or modified.

Just my two cents (again).

John Sidney-Woollett

ps And yes, I would be willing to help once my current project is complete...