Re: Search thoughts

From: John Hansen <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Search thoughts
Date: 2006-05-16 15:56:54
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 17:10 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been doing some example searching with our search engine and was
> wondering if we can adjust the weights a little differently. For example:
>
> ALTER TABLE, first link is:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/books/aw_pgsql/node203.html
>
> Which although accurate is way out dated. It seems we should weight a
> docs search higher with the current docs having the most weight?
>
> The same happens with many of the commands such as CREATE INDEX...

That's actually not as simple as it sounds. A lot of things is involved
in calculating weights for documents from the same site, given the
keywords 'ALTER TABLE', the position of the keywords on the page, if
they appear in the title, and their position...

You will notice, that pages with just the keywords are wighted higher
than those where they appear last, etc...

The earlier discussion about SiteWeight, does not apply here as they are
just for that, weighting entire sites higher, or lower, than others...

However, if you first navigate to the documentation for the current
version, then do your search, then only pages from that section will be
included in the search.

... John