Re: Can't get all search results

From: John Hansen <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can't get all search results
Date: 2006-05-16 15:26:48
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 09:01 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> John Hansen wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 22:12 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > I can't get all May 2006 search results to show up on:
> > >
> > > http://archives.postgresql.org/
> > >
> > > If I search for "semaphore", I see only one entry for May 2006, while
> > > this shows three emails with that title from the patches list for May
> > > 7-8, 2006:
> > >
> > > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-05/index.php
> > >

> > Aye, I'm aware of a problem with the sort by date functionality,... if
> > you look closer you will see that they appear among the last few
> > results.
>
> Oh, I definately see some strange date ordering on the last page. Can
> you explain how something as simple as a date sort could not work 100%?

Sure, the function that converts the webserver's response (the
last_modified header returned by a HEAD request to be precise) to a unix
timestamp, is by nature, somewhat uhmm,. unstable

'by nature' since there is no standard, an attempt has been made to
cover the most common response formats.

... John