Re: Is PostgreSQL an easy choice for a large CMS?

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Tony Lausin <tonylausin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is PostgreSQL an easy choice for a large CMS?
Date: 2006-05-01 16:42:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, 2006-04-30 at 14:32, Tony Lausin wrote:
> > [ rotfl... ] MySQL will fall over under any heavy concurrent-write
> > scenario. It's conceivable that PG won't do what you need either,
> > but if not I'm afraid you're going to be forced into Oracle or one
> > of the other serious-money DBs.
> >
> > regards, tom lane
>
> Hi Tom,
>
> That's a scary idea - being forced into Oracle or Sybase. Isn't
> Slashdot.org still running strongly off of MySQL?

Depends on how you define strongly. Slashdot has a LOT of code in place
to cache the content so it never has to hit the database directly.
Basically, every X seconds, the data creating the site is ripped outta
the database and produced as static content so that the writes and reads
don't clobber each other. And it still takes a pretty big and fast
machine to handle the load.