Re: PGSQL 7.4.8 : idle in transaction problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: FM <dist-list(at)LEXUM(dot)UMontreal(dot)CA>
Subject: Re: PGSQL 7.4.8 : idle in transaction problem
Date: 2005-07-20 02:44:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

FM <dist-list(at)LEXUM(dot)UMontreal(dot)CA> writes:
> What is strange is that users on all DB (not only DB1) are affected by
> the JBOSS <idle in transaction>.
> I understand that it locked DB1 but why it also locked users on others DB ?

You should define "locked" more carefully: exactly what behavior are you
seeing that you don't like?

If it's a matter of whether VACUUM removes rows or not, that's expected:
open-transaction bookkeeping is done across the whole cluster. (This is
not something simple to change, since we may have to consider
transaction IDs in shared catalogs.)