Re: In or Exists?

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Fabrice(dot)Sznajderman(at)devoteam(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-jdbc-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: In or Exists?
Date: 2006-02-15 16:48:18
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 10:27, Fabrice(dot)Sznajderman(at)devoteam(dot)com wrote:
> I tried select version();
>
> it gave me this:
>
> PostgreSQL 7.2.3-RH on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC)
> 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)

OK... You're running a really really old version of PostgreSQL.

It has known data loss and crash inducing bugs.

Let your boss know that you should upgrade to, at a minimum, the latest
version of 7.2, which is 7.2.8.

7.2 is no longer supported. It's very old. It's creaky in fact. I
would recommend upgrading to the latest 8.0 or 8.1 series, or 7.4 as a
minimum.

Many IT managers prefer to stick with older "known" versions of
software. While I understand this, it's really mostly a comfort issue.

And nothing makes me more uncomfortable than a database error that means
all my data just disappeared.

Oh, and update your OS as well if you can. RH 8.0 is also no longer
supported. It has many unpatched security bugs. You are running an
unreliable, unstable version of postgresql on an unreliable, insecure
platform. Expect no mercy from the gods or the members of this list
when things go wrong. And they will.