Re: is this a bug or I am blind?

From: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: is this a bug or I am blind?
Date: 2005-12-16 17:31:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 18:12, Tom Lane wrote:
[snip]
> I don't know anything about hu_HU comparison rules, but it appears that
> strcoll() believes that these two strings should be considered equal.
> Is that sane?

It is sane in a way, as the "ty" combination is pronounced together as a
single consonant in hungarian, and "tty" is the 'strong' version of it.
The usual way of making a consonant strong in Hungarian is to double it,
which works well for simple consonants, but for "ty" is normally written
"tty". So "tyty" and "tty" could be arguably both taken as double "ty",
except that the official form is "tty"... but from a pronunciation point
of view they ARE equivalent in hungarian.

Cheers,
Csaba.