Re: keyword list/ecpg

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mike Aubury <mike(dot)aubury(at)aubit(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: keyword list/ecpg
Date: 2008-06-13 15:18:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mike Aubury <mike(dot)aubury(at)aubit(dot)com> writes:
>> What happens when a non-Michael developer changes the original gram.y?

> The same as happens at the moment - nothing...

Wrong answer. The entire point of this work is to get rid of manual
work in updating the ecpg grammar when the main changes. The above
seems about like saying that the build process shouldn't regenerate
gram.c from gram.y --- you're supposed to do that manually.

One of the things I want to have come out of this is that we find out
right away if a main-grammar change breaks ecpg. Right now, any
conflict is not discovered until Michael gets around to syncing the
files, which is often weeks or months later.