Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Jeffrey Melloy <jmelloy(at)visualdistortion(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Matthew Terenzio <matt(at)jobsforge(dot)com>, PgSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase
Date: 2005-10-14 21:28:52
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

> But what if they came in sideways and bought Command Prompt?

Well then I would be sitting on a beach in New Zealend with an umbrella
drink :)

> (As an
> example.) You could do a lot more to destroy PostgreSQL's market in the
> business world by destroying the various support mechanisms. Your
> business is much closer to eating their lunch than PostgreSQL itself.

That is a farily good point but one of the beautiful things about Open
Source is that even if they bought Command Prompt, they would also have
to buy Pervasive and EnterpriseDB and GreenPlum and SRA.

And then -- by doing so they are just opening the market for a new set
of companies to start supporting PostgreSQL.

> So what if they bought Command Prompt (or someone else like it) and then
> cut it off at the knees? No one ever accused Larry Ellison of being
> dumb ... different strategies for different opponents.

No, Larry isn't dumb. You don't get to be the second richest man in the
world by being dumb. However he is very strategic and I don't see (at
this point) a strategic reason to attack PostgreSQL via Oracle.

PostgreSQL at this point is actually a good value add to the Oracle
proposition. In 5 years we are probably going to be a immediate direct
threat but not right now.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake