Re: ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Johann Spies <jspies(at)sun(dot)ac(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size
Date: 2007-05-14 14:34:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

Johann Spies <jspies(at)sun(dot)ac(dot)za> writes:
> I am using postgresql 8.1 on Debian Stable.

8.1.what?

> psql:laai_squid_logs:4: ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size 1350958157
> CONTEXT: COPY squidlogs, line 238780099

Is this repeatable? Is it always the same line and same bogus request size?

If Postgres was built with debug symbols it would be useful to get a
stack trace to try to figure out more about what's happening. If you
want to try that, attach to the backend with gdb while the COPY is
running, then do

$ gdb /path/to/postgres PID-of-backend
gdb> b errfinish
gdb> cont