Re: 8.4 release planning

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.4 release planning
Date: 2009-01-26 15:58:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Put another way, the choice here is whether to have a half-baked delayed 8.4
> release in 6 months or a polished on-time 8.5 release in 12 months. Either way
> the feature ships and on a not terribly different timeline either.

This is pretty much exactly how I see it. *Hot standby is not ready*,
and committing it into 8.4 isn't going to magically make that better.
The earliest we are going to have a HS feature that I would trust my
data to is probably ten-twelve months off. The decision we need to
make now is whether that release will be called 8.4 or 8.5; in the
former case meaning that all the stuff already in 8.4 will not reach
users' hands for close to a year more.