Re: PostGres Doubt

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Ford <david+cert(at)blue-labs(dot)org>
Cc: Dann Corbit <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>, vikas p verma <vvicky72(at)rediffmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostGres Doubt
Date: 2002-06-12 17:38:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Ford <david+cert(at)blue-labs(dot)org> writes:
> So reentrancy in libpq basically is put on hold until 7.3.

Only if you insist on using "crypt", which is deprecated anyway.
md5 is the preferred encryption method.

My feeling about the proposed patch was that crypt is now a legacy auth
method, and it's not clear that we should create platform/library
dependencies just to support making multiple connections simultaneously
under crypt auth. (Note that *using* connections concurrently is not
at issue, only whether you can execute the authentication phase of
startup concurrently.)