Re: Named Operators

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet(at)singh(dot)im>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Named Operators
Date: 2023-01-12 17:14:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> What about backticks (`)? They are allowed as operator characters but do
> not otherwise appear in the lexical syntax as far as I can tell:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-syntax-lexical.html

Since they're already allowed as operator characters, you can't
use them for this purpose without breaking existing use-cases.

Even if they were completely unused, I'd be pretty hesitant to
adopt them for this purpose because of the potential confusion
for users coming from mysql.

Pretty much the only available syntax space is curly braces,
and I don't really want to give those up for this either.
(One has to assume that the SQL committee has their eyes
on those too.)