Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions

From: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions
Date: 2004-08-23 15:03:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

Bruce, if postgres is not a company and so on, why don't you open up the
core development team to include some of the contributors who would like
to include their product in the main distribution, and have a bundled
product ? Cause a good data base is definitely not made up just by the
core, but all the rest too. And I'm sure that there are many people out
there who would use a PL/Java if they would find it in the main
distribution, and that's all you have to do for this to happen: include
it. Users of postgres are busy too, and some of them will never notice
what they are missing.
Now it's very clear to me that if all the extensions would be bundled,
it would be too much, and that there's no "commitee" to steer what
should go in or out... but then maybe a vote would help ? If the
contributor wants it in the core, a vote of the interested would be
quite relevant.

<joke>
Or write a plugin manager like of the better Java IDEs, to automatically
search/select/download/install plugins for your currently running
version ;-)
</joke>

Cheers,
Csaba.