Re: Problem with installing Postgres 8.0 on Mandrake 10

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Kaloyan Iliev Iliev <news1(at)faith(dot)digsys(dot)bg>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with installing Postgres 8.0 on Mandrake 10
Date: 2004-08-19 03:29:27
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 18:56, Kaloyan Iliev Iliev wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a little problem. I suppose that this question is stupid but...
> When I start the configure it gave me the following error:
>
> checking for shmget in -lcygipc... no
> checking for readline... no
> configure: error: readline library not found
> If you have readline already installed, see config.log for details on the
> failure. It is possible the compiler isn't looking in the proper directory.
> Use --without-readline to disable readline support.
>
> So when I start it with --without-readline it goes all fine but psql
> works terrible.
> I have postgres 7.4 istalled corectly, so I suppose I have this library.
>
> Any ideas what the problem could be.

readline is not part of postgresql but a separate library; find it and
install it. If you are using a distribution you may have the shared
library installed but you need to install its development package as
well.

Since you don't say what system or distribution you are using, we can't
say where to look for it.

--
Oliver Elphick olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver