case insensitive search with greek characters

From: Giannis Vrentzos <gvre(at)NOSPAM(dot)gvre(dot)gr>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: case insensitive search with greek characters
Date: 2004-08-12 07:45:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

I 'm testing postgres 8.0 beta 1 an i have the following problem. I have
a field with value Γιάννης. If i execute the following query it does not
returns any rows.

select * from test where descr ilike '%γιαννης%'

if i change the query to

select * from test where descr ilike '%γιάννης%'

everything is fine. As you can see the problem is at char α .
I 'm using ENCODING = 'ISO_8859_7'. I also tried with unicode but no luck.

An suggestions?

Thanks,
Gvre