Re: Multiple databases on seperate drives/file systems?

From: "Scot L(dot) Harris" <webid(at)cfl(dot)rr(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multiple databases on seperate drives/file systems?
Date: 2004-06-09 15:04:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 10:20, Tom Lane wrote:
> Depends which startup script you are using. I know that up till
> recently the Red Hat init script did
>
> su -l postgres -s /bin/sh -c "pg_ctl start ..."
>
> and because it forced /bin/sh, anything you might have put in say
> ~postgres/.bash_profile wouldn't get read. You can just take out
> that -s switch though.
>
> regards, tom lane

Thanks for the pointer.

The startup script in /etc/init.d does have the su line as you describe
above. On RH8 it appears that /bin/sh is linked to /bin/bash. So does
the shell being executed not look at the .bash_profile since it was
invoked as /bin/sh?

Or can I just put the PGDATA2 environment variable in a .profile file?

--
Scot L. Harris <webid(at)cfl(dot)rr(dot)com>