Re: Tuple is too big

From: j6m(at)cvni(dot)net
To: vinicius caldo <vinicius(at)sordido(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tuple is too big
Date: 2004-04-23 21:34:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bom Dia,

I ran into that trouble too. But as I used Postgresql since 7.0.2, I returned to
the traditional way of doing things as I thought it was due to a wrong
understanding from my part of this issue).

(I presume your PGDATA directory is in /var/lib/pgsl/data and it is run by a
user named 'postgres')

1 - dump all your databases with pg_dumpall
(e.g. pg_dumpall -v -U postgres | bzip2 > dumpall.dump.bz2)

2 - save *.conf files found in /var/lib/pgsql/data

3 - do a pg_config --configure and save the output

4 - shut running server down

5 - expand the source tree somewhere

5 - edit the pg_config.h.in file and alter BLCKSZ from 8192 to 16384

6 - run configure with the 'pg_config --configure' output as arguments
(so that your new Postgres will be exactly the same as your old)

7 - make, make check

8 - make install as root if above step is satisfactory

9 - save the /var/lib/pgsql/data content, then 'rm -rf' on it

10 - run /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S??postgresql start (if it includes an initdb,
otherwise set PGDATA to /var/lib/pgsql/data and do it manually under the
identity of the user the postgres process should run under)

11 - restore your previously saved conf files and restart postgres

12 - restore your data
(e.g. bzip2 -d < dumpall.dump.bz2 | psql -U postgres template1)

It is not the most elegant solution but as it works, I am fairly happy with it.

Remember to have always fresh data backups should you use some distribution
provided online facilities. Should an upgrade of Postgres be set, it is more
than likely it will come with the BLCKSZ parameter back to default value of
8192, which is incompatible with your settings)