Re: A briefing is needed...

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: webmaster(at)letzplay(dot)de
Cc: borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A briefing is needed...
Date: 2004-01-14 20:25:26
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 14:33, Andreas Grabmüller wrote:
> Thank you for finding it :)
>
> About the urls: The new ones all look like the following:
>
> /en/{page}.htm
> /en/documentation/{version}/(interactive|static)/{page}.htm

we need to change /documentation/ to /docs/ but otherwise can we put in
an error handler document that, upon 404 adds an /en/ bit into the URL?
seems that would catch most of the old links. (unless we can just leave
out /en/ for the english site entirely and just have the /gr/ show up
for other langs...

> It should not be difficult to create an automatic wrapper for the documentation as version, interactive|static and page are the same. The big problem are the other pages as the page names are not compatible (by design: For example, the surveys do now have the url survey.{number}.htm and so on. Nothing of the output has .php links any more for search engine compatibility and caching ability). So I beliefe we need to create a wrapper for each and every page...

i'm not overly concerned about breaking links for the surveys.. does the
news have to be done that way? i'd be more concerned about keeping those
links working, though again with some magic error-handler tech we could
overcome it....

> For anyone who has not seen it yet, you can see the current status at http://wwwdevel2.postgresql.org

Aah... one problem I now recall is the right menu bar doesn't line up
with the right banner add at the top, we should fix that.

Robert Treat