Re: A briefing is needed...

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)ufgnet(dot)ufg(dot)br>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A briefing is needed...
Date: 2004-01-14 20:27:50
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi all,

> > The internationalization system I see in CVS right now
> > doesn't look very well thought out. Separating the text from
> > the context where it will appear will not make the site very
> > maintainable.

That's what I think. When it is a simple website it is OK, but when it's a Portal, IMHO it's a pain in the neck.

> Hmm, we use gettext on the pgAdmin site (and keep the text in the
> context in which it will appear) and I find the site a real pain to
> maintain. The old site (although only in English) was much easier to
> maintain - it kept content in a db and used a single php script to
> display all pages bar a few odd scripts.

Yep, I know the gettext extension for php is not a real solution for translation. But I think it's the right thing. I'm working in an extension of gettext to made the support of internationalization to markup languages (XML, HTML, SGML, etc). Maybe it improve the gettext scenario.

Another idea:
1) use index.html.en, index.html.de, index.html.pt_BR for static pages;
2) grad browser language and use it in the dinamic pages;

PS> I just code the Weekly News extension for the website and I will post it tomorrow for comments. It's based in the actual design.

Regards,

--
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
euler (at) ufgnet.ufg.br