Re: Restrict users from describing table

From: mgill(at)pointdx(dot)com
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Restrict users from describing table
Date: 2004-01-09 14:05:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Quoting Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>:

> On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:32:42 +0500,
> Michael Gill <mgill(at)pointdx(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > I think I have found the simple solution by separating the user from the
> > owner of the tables, however!
> >
> > I have simply created tables and functions in the owner's schema(A),
> > then granted execution to the other user(B). My brief testing indicates
> > that B cannot access or describe A's objects, yet can execute the
> > function that retrieves data and returns a ref cursor.
> >

> This won't work as they can still get at the system catalog which will
> allow them to see the schema.

You're correct. There doesn't seem to be a way to restrict a user from reading
the system tables.

To limit the client to only accessing the data through functions, I'm looking at
creating a java-based api to wrap all accesses to the db. The client machine
wouldn't need a db password, merely asking for DML through the api.