"with grant option" for user groups.

From: Potuganti Ramu <ramup(at)aztec(dot)soft(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: "with grant option" for user groups.
Date: 2004-01-09 14:02:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

We are building security system for a project where the security is modeled
based on the sql-92 GRANT/REVOKE statements.

I was going through the documentation of postgresql related to GRANT/REVOKE
statements.

Following statement says that "with grant option" is not allowed to a user
group. I would like to know what the reasons behind not implementing

this kind of feature.

If WITH GRANT OPTION is specified, the recipient of the privilege may in
turn grant it to others. By default this is not allowed. Grant options can
only be granted to individual users, not to groups or PUBLIC.

http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/sql-grant.html
<http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/sql-grant.html>

I looked into ORACLE database also they don't support user groups, but they
support roles. But even for roles "with grant option" is not allowed.

Thanks & regards,

Ramu