Re: State of Beta 2

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: PgSQL General ML <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: State of Beta 2
Date: 2003-09-17 13:36:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 03:45, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
[snip]
> Some people have claimed that the big commercial databases don't change their
> on-disk represantation anymore. Maybe PostgreSQL could try to aim for this
> goal. At least try to get the on-disk changes ready for 7.5 - with or without
> the functionality to use it. I think that any pg_* table changes could be
> done with a small and efficient pg_upgrade.
[snip]

I think changes in the system catalog should be separated from
changes in the physical on-disk structures (i.e. how tables and
indexes are stored).

Maybe I'm totally wrong, but ALTERing the pg_* tables during each
version upgrade should be relatively easy to script, when the phys-
ical on-disk structures have been solidified.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net
Jefferson, LA USA

The difference between drunken sailors and Congressmen is that
drunken sailors spend their own money.