Re: Preliminary notes about hash index concurrency (long)

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Preliminary notes about hash index concurrency (long)
Date: 2003-09-01 19:45:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane kirjutas E, 01.09.2003 kell 15:41:
> > I know someone reported a problem with the hash indexes (data loss,
> > serious)--- was that a new 7.4 but or something that has existed for a
> > long time?
>
> AFAICT the bug's been there since Berkeley days.

One could check how BSDDB (http://www.sleepycat.com) handles these
issues. It is reported to have started as btree/hash index code
extracted from an early version of postgres, so perhaps there one could
at least get some ideas, though their locking / concurrency control are
probably much different.

Hannu