Re: Any reason why the default_with_oids GUC is still there?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Any reason why the default_with_oids GUC is still there?
Date: 2010-09-21 22:16:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
>> On 9/20/10 10:59 PM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>> Backwards-compatibility? ;-) There hasn't been any pressing reason to
>>> remove it.

> Mind you, it wouldn't take a *big* reason to persuade me to remove it.
> But bigger than that.

Actually, I can think of a fairly sizable reason not to remove it:
pg_dump issues "SET default_with_oids" commands in its scripts, and
has done for lo these many years. So you'd be breaking backwards
compatibility with even-quite-recent dumps.

It'd be possible to work around that; for example, if you don't use
--single-transaction to restore the dump then you could just ignore
the errors. But it still is not something to just lightly break.