Re: How to deny user changing his own password?

From: Network Administrator <netadmin(at)vcsn(dot)com>
To: nolan(at)celery(dot)tssi(dot)com
Cc: pgsql general list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to deny user changing his own password?
Date: 2003-05-29 19:54:15
Lists: pgsql-general

I was actually thinking the same thing. Typically the use for a web user runs a
system user with minimalistic permissions on the other hand, the **database**
user that any CGI scripts connect to the database as need permissions to the
database resources- two entirely different things.

Unless you choose to have different DB user for each application with a web
interface,
you might be faced with a serious problem if the DB user's account password gets
changed since that DB user's account is effectively used for several applications.

Quoting nolan(at)celery(dot)tssi(dot)com:

> > This is the second worst possible reason I can imagine for a feature
> > like this. Passwords coded into the frontend ... gosh!
>
> Depending on the application, coding a password into the front end can
> be a necessary condition. Think of a PHP web page script that makes
> database calls. How are you going to prevent other unauthorized
> connections from that system? Passwords aren't a perfect security
> device, but they're generally better than no password.
>
> I could see some merit to a 'LOCK' option on the alter user command, so that
>
> the password can only be changed by a superuser.
> --
> Mike Nolan

Keith C. Perry
Director of Networks & Applications