Re: 2018-03 Commitfest starts tomorrow

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 2018-03 Commitfest starts tomorrow
Date: 2018-03-01 17:05:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/1/18 4:52 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> The remaining 45 are, ordered by time created:

OK, here's my break down after a brief review of all the patches in the
list. Many of the patches were trivial/small, bug fixes, had history,
or related to builds, tests, or docs.

There are still 13 patches that are medium/large (in terms of impact,
not size) from my analysis, and new.

Medium/Large and New:

Verify Checksums during Basebackups
CALL optional in PL/pgSQL
chained transactions
INOUT parameters in procedures
SET TRANSACTION in PL/pgSQL
PL/pgSQL nested CALL with transactions
committing inside cursor loop
ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE for partitioned tables
handling of heap rewrites in logical decoding
Changing the autovacuum launcher scheduling; oldest table first algorithm
Let's remove DSM_INPL_NONE?
[PROPOSAL] Nepali Snowball dictionary?
Opclass parameters (recommend RWF or push by me)
Parallel Dump to /dev/null (recommend push by Andres)
Reduce amount of WAL generated by CREATE INDEX for gist, gin and sp-gist
(already moved to next CF by me)

This one is large, has history, but had been idle for a long time:

kNN for SP-GiST (last submitted for 2017-03 CF, RWF, then idle for one
year until this CF)

Was already rejected:
Direct converting numeric types to bool

The following patches seem OK to me, but I'm happy for feedback. Note
that one of the small patches is mine -- I think it's small because it
shares a lot of code with a patch that is already marked RFC, but I
won't object if the consensus is to push it.

Trivial / Build / Tests / Docs:

Unlogged tables re-initialization tests
Comment of formdesc() forgets pg_subscription
Minor clean-up in dshash.{c,h}
Align isolation tester output
Updating parallel.sgml's treatment of parallel joins
symlink installs

Bugs:

Fix "unsupported type" with custom numeric types in convert_to_scalar
Standby cannot catch up primary after pg_rewind
line_perp() (?-|) is broken.
Correctly inhibit indexonly when multiple occurrence of an index column
ActivePerl 5.24.3 breaks PG compilation in Windows
ConvertRowtypeExpr reference errors from partition-wise join
Incorrect flag passed to initial_cost_hashjoin()
fixing more format truncation issues (this is under refactoring but
reads a bit more like bugs fixes to me)

Active history and review, just newly added to CF:

Cast jsonb to numeric, int, float, bool
Predicate locking in gin index
JIT compiling expressions & tuple deforming
Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers
Advanced partition matching for partition-wise join
Minor clean-up in dshash.{c,h}

Small and New:

Nested ConvertRowtypeExpr optimization
Reopen logfile on SIGHUP
Function to track shmem reinit time
Removing shm_mq.c's volatile qualifiers
Exclude temp relations from base backup (This is my patch so I prefer
somebody else decide its fate)
remove pg_class.relhaspkey

Ready for Committer:

pg_proc.prokind column
Increase initdb's fallback value of max_connection to 20

Feedback?

Thanks,
--
-David