Re: PostgreSQL x Oracle

From: Tony Grant <tony(at)tgds(dot)net>
To: shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in
Cc: postgres list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL x Oracle
Date: 2003-02-11 14:19:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 02:08, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> > Wrong! Everybody uses MySQL because PHP is as slow as glue when compared
> > to JSP... By using Postgresql and JSP the pages are served just as
> > quickly as with LAMP. If not faster...
>
> Sorry for nitpicking, but when fight is between mysql/php v/s JSP/postgresql,
> why bring in linux and apache? Aren't they common between these two?

Tomcat runs on lots of different OS. So does PostgreSQL. My development
server is now OS X. So Linux is optional.

Apache is also optional with JSP. Since Tomcat 4.x speed for serving
static pages (less that 5% of pages in most webapps) is not much of an
issue. It _is_ usefull to have an Apache image server.

And some people will prefer using JBoss or other Java application
servers so there is a lot of choice.

I may not be in fashion but my software choices are based on months of
study of available solutions. And I have never bought the idea that
PostgreSQL is a slow database for a web application backend. That is an
urban legend. If you don't know how to design a database and code SQL
then sure it will be slow. If you do things right it is fast and rock
solid (how many times has Slashdot gone down because of database
problems?) and you get to sleep at night. A couple of years back I
survived a hardware failure and got all my data back from a dead machine
thanks to Bruce, Justin, Tom and others on this list.

Historical note: I stopped using PHP after my second version change in
less than a year when there was no compatibility between version
numbers. Things are a little more sane since those times but I
completely lost trust in the PHP developer team at that time...

Cheers

Tony Grant

--
www.tgds.net Library management software toolkit,