Re: Remove win32ver.rc from version_stamp.pl

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove win32ver.rc from version_stamp.pl
Date: 2020-03-09 14:55:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 2020-03-01 23:51, Tom Lane wrote:
>> In general, while I'm on board with the idea, I wonder whether it
>> wouldn't be smarter to keep on defining PG_MAJORVERSION as a string,
>> and just add PG_MAJORVERSION_NUM alongside of it.

> Agreed. Here is another patch.

This version LGTM. (I can't actually test the Windows aspects
of this, but I assume you did.)

I'm wondering a little bit whether it'd be worth back-patching the
additions of the new #defines. That would cut about five years off
the time till they could be relied on by extensions. However,
I'm not sure anyone is eager to rely on them, so it may not be
worth the effort.