Re: Table referenced by OID in a view?

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: "'pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Table referenced by OID in a view?
Date: 2002-12-21 04:53:59
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 19:31, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Ron,
>
> > I don't know about other commercial RDBMSs, but some have this:
> > DROP TABLE <foo> CASCADE
> >
> > Thus, any views, constraints, triggers, etc, that refer to <foo> get
> > dropped automatically when the table is dropped. This seems to be a
> > step beyond what you mention for v7.4. (Of course, all the deleteted
> > objects are listed as they are deleted, so you can easily recreate
> > them...
>
> Hmmm. Not sure this is planned; I personally would not want to *ever* use a
> "DROP TABLE CASCADE". Not up to me, though.

Why not?

Without it, I'd have to scan thru the metadata myself. This just
does what I want, without me telling The Engine how to do it.
Sort of like SQL itself...

| Ron Johnson, Jr. mailto:ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net |
| Jefferson, LA USA http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| |
| "My advice to you is to get married: If you find a good wife, |
| you will be happy; if not, you will become a philosopher." |
| Socrates |