Re: inconsistent composite type null handling in plpgsql out variable

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: inconsistent composite type null handling in plpgsql out variable
Date: 2009-08-28 16:36:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Today I ran into a problem relating to $subject. plpgsql's handling
> of 'null' composite types is not consistent with what you get in sql:

Hm. It looks like plpgsql treats composite arguments as being "row"
instead of "record" variables, which has some possible efficiency
benefits but there's no way to represent the whole row being null, as
opposed to existing but having all null fields. Not sure how painful
it'd be to change to "record" representation.