Re: Open 7.3 items

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open 7.3 items
Date: 2002-08-27 21:33:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 22:11, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Oliver Elphick wrote:
> > Has this behaviour been carried through into GRANT and REVOKE? If the
> > object is transparency for local users, it should be possible in
> > database "test" to say "GRANT ... TO fred" and have "fred" understood as
> > "fred(at)test".
>
> No changes have been made anywhere except for the username passed by the
> client. All reporting of user names and all administration go by their
> full pg_shadow username, so global user dave@ is dave in pg_shadow, and
> dave is dave(at)db1 in pg_shadow. One goal of this patch was a small
> footprint.

That is understandable, but it means that there is an inconsistency of
usage for _every_ user.

You connect as "postgres@" and "fred", but for all other purposes -
CREATE USER, GRANT, REVOKE, CURRENT_USER, etc. you will be "postgres"
and "fred(at)database". This seems likely to cause users confusion, don't
you think? It also means that any applications which test usernames
will have to be altered to strip off the "@database".

So it seems to me that you have achieved a small footprint within the
code, but potentially at the cost of a larger impact on users.

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight, UK