Re: Cached/global query plans, autopreparation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Shay Rojansky <roji(at)roji(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cached/global query plans, autopreparation
Date: 2018-02-14 21:19:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2018-02-13 09:13:09 -0800, Shay Rojansky wrote:
>> Was wondering if anyone has a reaction to my email below about statement
>> preparation, was it too long? :)

> Well, the issue is that implementing this is a major piece of work. This
> post doesn't offer either resources nor a simpler way to do so. There's
> no huge debate about the benefit of having a global plan cache, so I'm
> not that surprised there's not a huge debate about a post arguing that
> we should have one.

Actually, I'm pretty darn skeptical about the value of such a cache for
most use-cases. But as long as it can be turned off and doesn't leave
residual overhead nor massive added code cruft, I won't stand in the way
of someone else investing their time in it.

In any case, as you say, it's moot until somebody steps up to do it.