Re: eWeek Poll: Which database is most critical to your

From: Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: eWeek Poll: Which database is most critical to your
Date: 2002-02-26 23:03:35
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-announce pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 15:30, Zak Greant wrote:
> Good Day All,
>
> eWeek has posted a poll that asks which database server is most critical
> to your organization.

The article mentions a MySQL feature which apparently improved
performance considerably:

//
MySQL 4.0.1's new, extremely fast query cache is also quite notable, as
no other database we tested had this feature. If the text of an incoming
query has a byte-for-byte match with a cached query, MySQL can retrieve
the results directly from the cache without compiling the query, getting
locks or doing index accesses. This query caching will be effective only
for tables with few updates because any table updates that clear the
cache to guarantee correct results are always returned.
//

My guess is that it would be relatively simple to implement. Any
comments on this?

If I implemented this, any chance this would make it into the tree? Of
course, it would be:

- disabled by default
- enabled on a table-by-table basis (maybe an ALTER TABLE command)

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway(at)rogers(dot)com>
PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC