Re: [HACKERS] GSOC'17 project introduction: Parallel COPY execution with errors handling

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Alexey Kondratov <kondratov(dot)aleksey(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Stas Kelvich <s(dot)kelvich(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nicolas Barbier <nicolas(dot)barbier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Anastasia Lubennikova <lubennikovaAV(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] GSOC'17 project introduction: Parallel COPY execution with errors handling
Date: 2018-03-03 05:08:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/22/18 21:33, Craig Ringer wrote:
> We don't have much in the way of rules about what input functions can or
> cannot do, so you can't assume much about their behaviour and what must
> / must not be cleaned up. Nor can you just reset the state in a heavy
> handed manner like (say) plpgsql does.

I think one thing to try would to define a special kind of exception
that can safely be caught and ignored. Then, input functions can
communicate benign parse errors by doing their own cleanup first, then
throwing this exception, and then the COPY subsystem can deal with it.

Anyway, this patch is clearly not doing this, so I'm setting it to
returned with feedback.