Re: Hugetables question

From: Radosław Smogura <rsmogura(at)softperience(dot)eu>
To: Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hugetables question
Date: 2011-06-22 12:31:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:24:17 +0300, Marti Raudsepp wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 12:56, Radosław Smogura
> <rsmogura(at)softperience(dot)eu> wrote:
>> I want to implement hugepages for shared memory
>
> Hi,
>
> Have you read this post by Tom Lane about the performance estimation
> and a proof-of-concept patch with hugepages?
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-11/msg01842.php
>
> It's possible that there was a flaw in his analysis, but his
> conclusion is that it's not worth it:
>
>> And the bottom line is: if there's any performance benefit at all,
>> it's on the order of 1%. The best result I got was about 3200 TPS
>> with hugepages, and about 3160 without. The noise in these numbers
>> is more than 1% though.
>
> Regards,
> Marti

Actually when I tried to implement hugepages for palloc (I ware unable
to write fast and effective mallocator), my result was that when I was
using normal pages I got small performance degree, but when I was using
huge pages this was faster then normal build (even with infective
mallocator).

I know there are some problems with accessing higher memory (when
server is more then 8GB), and hugepages may resolve this.

I strictly disagree with opinion if there is 1% it's worthless. 1%
here, 1% there, and finally You get 10%, but of course hugepages will
work quite well if will be used in code that require many random
"jumps". I think this can be reproduced and some not-common case may be
found to get performance of about 10% (maybe upload whole table in
shared buffer and randomly "peek" records one by one).

Regards,
Radek